Shepherd Junior High
1407 N. Alta Mesa Drive
Mesa, AZ 85205
Mon, Tues, Thur and Fri:
8:30 A.M - 4:00 P.M.
Wed: 9:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.
Do I Need A Pass To The Library?
Passes are required
Lunch passes can be requested from Mrs. Hanna or Mrs. Glynn BEFORE lunch starts.
You can request to have a permanent lunch pass, if you will be coming to the library on a regular basis.
During class time, students need to have a pass from their teacher.
When visiting the library with any type of pass, please sign in and leave the pass at the circulation desk.
Please have your pass signed by Mrs. Hanna or Mrs. Glynn before you go back to class.
How Do I Check Out A Book?
We have a wonderful collection of over 18,000 fiction and non-fiction books for you to read.
Rules for Check-Out
Students MUST have their photo ID to check out books. You may not check out a book with a temporary ID.
You may check out up to three items at a time.
Books may be checked out for two weeks.
Magazines may be checked out overnight and only one at a time.
Reference books are checked out overnight.
All materials can be renewed.
There are no fines for overdue books, however, students with overdue books will not be allowed to check out until they are returned.
Overdue notices are sent out every month and are distributed to students by homeroom teachers during third hour.
The due date is stamped inside the book as a reminder.
What happens when a book gets damaged?
At the circulation desk, library staff will check books for damage. Damages will be noted. It is also your responsibility to look at the book for damage and let us know about anything we missed.
If you return a book with damage that has not been noted, you will receive a fine. The amount of the fine is determined by the amount of damage. Lost books and water damaged books are fined the full amount of a replacement book. If you are unable to bring in payment, please come and speak with us in the library.
All fines must be paid in the Bookstore. Please bring your receipt to the Media Center so that the fine can be removed from your account.
Where Do I Go To Find A Book?
Students can look up an author, title, or subject by using either of the library’s on-line catalogs Destiny or Destiny Quest. Both are available for your use in school and at home. Once you find the book you are looking for, you should write down the call number so that you can locate the book in the library.
Now Where Is Your Book In The Library?
Our library is divided into different sections to make locating your book much easier. Below are the sections and examples of spine labels:
FICTION: (FIC SMI) Alpha by author's last name.
NON-FICTION: (796 ALP) Numeric by the Dewey System (see Dewey LibGuide) and then alpha by author’s last name.
REFERENCE: (REF 796 ANG) Numeric and then alpha by author’s last name.
GRAPHIC NOVELS: (GRN ROR) GRN and then alpha by author's last name.
FOREIGN LANGUAGE: (SP
QUICK READS: (QR
Am I Allowed to Use the Computers?
Computer and Internet Use
Shepherd's library has 10 computers with internet access. Before using the computers, students must check-in with Mrs. Hanna or Mrs. Glynn. We will take your ID and tell you which computer to use.
- The internet is not for checking your e-mail, visiting chat rooms, making purchases or visiting game sites.
- Please ask before you print anything.
- If you need to print from the Media Center computers, the first 3 pages are free and any additional pages are $.05 each.
- Our computers do not have the ability to save your documents. Once the computers shut down, all input information is erased. Your documents will not be there the next day.
- Do not hesitate to ask Mrs. Hanna or Mrs. Glynn to recommend websites for your research.
- Report any inappropriate ads or information that might appear on your computer screen.
- Do use the internet to help with school assigned research.
The computer lab is for classroom use only. A teacher must be present at all times.
- Be respectful of everyone and everything. (Please push in chairs and leave the library looking nice for the next class.)
- NO food or drink are allowed in the library.
- SIGN IN. Present your pass.
- You MUST have your ID to check out books.
- Talking QUIETLY is OK!