Links to Great Sources of Oceanography Information
Here are some links to websites that provide reliable information about Oceanography related subjects. There are many more out there, but this will get you started.
Ocean Life, Habitats, and Regions
Search Tips and Tools
Did you ever search on the Internet or a database and get millions of results? Or how about the search that says, "No results found"? It's very frustrating and can be quite discouraging. A few simple search tips can help you narrow your results to give you a more manageable amount or, broadening your search can help you get more results.
- Start with a general search for terms you already know...fish, Indian Ocean, whales.
- If that gives you too many results, you can use the "advanced search" feature and limit the original results by selecting different "limiters" that are offered.
- Or, you can enter whole new search terms using new words you gathered from your search...blowfish, fish in the Indian Ocean, Baleen whales.
- If you didn't get enough results, make you search more general. For example, don't search for "small food fish of the Indian Ocean", search for fish in the Indian Ocean.
- Other suggestions: Use a thesaurus to find other terms you could use for your search
- Use Boolean search terms to narrow your search.
- Always remember that you can ask for help. It's why we're here!
Every search engine has its own rules for refining a search. Use the help buttons within the search engine to get help tips specific to that engine.
See the file attached below for more tips.
Don't forget to ask for help. If you need additional assistance, or help with usernames/passwords, see your Resource Center Specialist. We're here to help!
Resources Beyond the Books
Books aren't our only sources of reliable and accurate information for the 21st Century Learner. We have databases, search engines, webcams, streamed videos, podcasts...the list is now almost endless. We've gathered some of the best sources on this page to help you find what you're looking for.
If you roll your mouse slowly over the listings, information windows will pop-up to tell you a little more about that link.
Ocean Web Cams
You can use Google Scholar to find peer-reviewed articles, scholarly papers, and theses on your topic. Google Books allows you to find books specific to your topic. If the book is out of copyright, or the publisher has given permission, you'll be able to see a preview of the book, and in some cases the entire text. If it's in the public domain, you're free to download a PDF copy.
Enter your search terms in one of the boxes below.
Current Ocenaographic Events
This section is dedicated to links related to current oceanographic events.