Need to Know
Welcome to the world of genetics! This unit is just introducing the basic concepts of heredity and inheritance.
The essential questions that you should be able to answer are the following:
- What are the basic purposes of cell division?
- What is the difference between dominant and recessive traits?
- How are dominant and recessive alleles written?
- What does genotype mean? Give an example...
- What does phenotype mean? Give an example...
- How does one distinguish between a homozygous and a heterozygous genotype?
- What is a Punnett Square and how does it help predict genotypes and phenotypes of offspring?
- What were Gregor Mendel's contributions to scientific progress?
- What impact does the advancement in genetics play into today's society (e.g. pet cloning, DNA profiling, genetic engineering, radiation treatments, selective breeding)?
- What career opportunities can one pursue in the field of genetics?