- Periodic Table
- Physical Properties
- States of Matter
- Boiling Point
- Melting Point
- Chemical Properties
- Chemical change/reaction
- Chemical Reaction
- Absorbsion of Heat (Warmer)
- Release of Heat (Cooler)
- pH Scale
Need to Know
In 8th grade science we touch upon the field of chemistry.
The essential questions that you should be able to answer after this unit are the following:
- What is an atom and its parts?
- What is an element and how is it different from a compound and a mixture?
- A mixture can be classified two different ways... What are they and give examples?
- Elements are categorized in a chart... What is this chart called?
- Who was the scientist that created the chart that organizes elements?
- What is the difference between periods and groups/families?
- What two main properties does matter classify itself?
- Can you list the main physical properties that matter is classified?
- Define and give an example of density.
- How does a solvent and a solute make a solution? Use lemonade as an example
- What is solubility and how is it different from insolubility? Give an example
- What are chemical properties of matter? Examples!
- What are the possible results in a chemical reaction?
- What is an acid and how is it different than a base? Give examples!
- How are acids and bases displayed on a classification chart?
Why is chemistry important? Without chemistry there would be no plastic, no cell phones, and no cars! Because of chemistry we have all the modern conveniences that society cannot live without!