Can You Do the Following?
1. Indicate important differences between endocrine and neural controls of body functioning.
2. List the major endocrine organs, and briefly describe their location in the body, hormones produced
(their actions), and diseases of imbalance.
Endocrine Glands to know: Pineal, Pituitary, Thyroid, Parathyroid, Thymus, Adrenals, and
the Gonads (Ovaries, and Testes)
3. Describe how hormones are classified chemically.
4. Describe the two major mechanisms by which hormones bring about their effects on their target
tissues, and explain how hormone release is regulated.
5. Specific hormones to know:
From the Pineal = melatonin
From the Pituitary (Adenohypophysis) = Growth hormone (GH), Prolactin (lactogenic hormone),
Thyroid stimulating hormone (
Follicle-stimulating hormone (
Melanocyte-stimulating hormone (MSH).
From the Pituitary (Neurohypophysis) = Antidiuretic hormone (ADH), Oxytocin.
From the Thyroid gland = Thyroxin, and Calcitonin.
From the Parathyroid gland = Parathyroid hormone.
From the Thymus = Thymosin.
From the Adrenal (Cortex) = Glucocorticoids (GCs), mineralocorticoids (mainly Aldosterone),
Gonadocorticoids (mainly sex hormones androgens).
From the Adrenal (Medulla) = Epinephrine and Norepinephrine.
From the Pancrease = Insulin and Glucagon.
From the Gonads (Ovaries) = Estrogen and Progesterone.
From the Gonads (Testes) = Testosterone.
6. Specific hormone pathologic conditions to know: acromegaly, addison's disease, cretinism,
Cushing's syndrome, diabetes insipidus, pituitary dwarfism, eunuchism, endemic goiter,
gigantism, hypercalcimia, Simmonds' disease.
7. Describe the structural and functional relationships between the hypothalamus and the pituitary gland
8. List and describe the chief effects of adenohypophyseal hormones.
9. Discuss the role of the neurohypophysis, and note the effects of the two hormones it releases.
10. Describe the important effects of the two groups of hormones produced by the thyroid gland.
11. Note the general functions of parathyroid hormone.
12. List the hormones produced by the cortical and medullary regions of the adrenal gland, and cite their
13. Compare and contrast the effects of the two major pancreatic hormones.
14. Describe the functional roles of the hormone products of the testes and ovaries.