Can You Do the Following?
1. Describe the size and shape of the heart, and indicate its location in the thorax
2. Name the coverings of the heart
3. Describe the structure and function of each of the three layers of the heart wall.
4. Describe the structure and functions of the four heart chambers. Name each chamber and provide the name and general route of its associated great vessels.
5. Trace the pathway of blood through the heart
6. Name the heart valves and describe their location, function, and mechanism of operation.
1. Describe the stuctural and functional properties of cardiac muscle and explain how it differs from skeletal muscle.
2. Describe the events of the cardiac cycle
3. Describe normal heart sounds, and explain how heart murmurs differ from normal sounds
4. Name and describe homeostatic imbalances associated with the heart
Blood Vessel Overview
1. Describe the three layers of the wall of a blood vessel and state the function of each.
2. Define vasoconstriction and vasodilation
3. Compare and contrast the structure and function of the three types of arteries
4. Describe the structure and function of veins and explain how veins differ from arteries
5. Describe the structure and function of a capillary bed
Physiology of Circulation
1. List and explain the factors that influence blood pressure and describe how blood pressure is regulated
2. Define hypertension. Note both its symptoms and consequences.
3. Explain how blood flow is regulated in the body in general.
1. Trace the pathway of blood through the pulmonary circulation and state the importance
2. Describe the general functions of the systemic circulation.
3. Name and give the location of the major arteries and veins in the systemic circulation.