For this unit, you will be working with the novel Rocket Boys, which was made into a motion picture called October Sky. The novel is a memoir about one boy's dream to work for NASA and build rockets. Although the boy, Homer Hickam, faces many obstacles on his journey, his own individual determination (along with the help of his friends), launches him into places he never thought he could go.
The purpose of this unit is all of the following:
1) To read a memoir so you have an example of what memoir writing is like when you write your own College Admission Essay and/or Personal Statement.
2) To practice Critical Reading skills.
3) To learn how to write an academic summary.
4) To learn basic math and science skills related to flight and aerodynamics.
1) First, read your assigned chapter and complete the Critical Reading Summary Chart. This will give you the ideas for your PowerPoint presentation and summary.
2) Then, you will create a PowerPoint presentation that teaches the class your assigned chapter of the book. You need to include:
a. 10 slides with a maximum of five bullets per slide
b. Pictures as appropriate.
c. A summary of only the most important events in the chapter with supporting quotations from the text to give the audience a feel for the text.
d. A 1-2 minute read-aloud, where you read the most important part of the text to the class. DO NOT PUT THE WHOLE TEXT INTO YOUR POWERPOINT PRESENTATION!
e. A list of at least five new vocabulary words you learned and definitions. You will also teach these words to the class.
3) Finally, you will present your PowerPoint summary to the class. You will be graded on the following presentation skills:
b. Eye contact
c. Academic tone and vocabulary