Read the short story "The Lottery" looking at setting and characterization.
1. What is a lottery?
2. What is your first impression of Tesse?
3. When do you think the story takes place?
4. Predict what the winner of this lottery gets.
5. How has your veiw of Tesse changed? How did her view of the lottery shift? Use examples from the text to defend your opnion.
6. Draw a picture of the setting with the characters or write a detailed paragraph about how you see the setting and characters in your head.
7. Reflect on the end result of the lottery.
Why do we follow traditions? Do you question why you do things or just do them because you always have?
We will watch the film "The Lottery" then students will compare the story to the movie. What was different from what you thought? When did the story actually take place?