About Embedded Video
An Embedded Video box displays a video that a user can click on to play within your LibGuide. Videos can be from YouTube or other video sharing sites that provide embedding code.
MPS blocks many of the video hosting sites. But there are some that are not blocked. I have included a list of these below. This page will include directions for embedding videos from these sites as well as directions for linking to video pages or videos that you have uploaded to your Architeck site.
Note: Only use videos that have an educational purpose and are appropriate for your content.
Tips for Video Use
Guidelines for using Internet images and video:
- The Internet is NOT public domain. There are both uncopyrighted and copyrighted materials available. However, you should assume a work, image, video, etc. is copyrighted.
- Always credit the source of your information.
- Find out if the author of a work (i.e., image, video, audio, etc.) provides information on how to use his or her work. If explicit guidelines exist, follow them.
- Whenever feasible, ask the owner of the copyright for permission. Keep a copy of your request for permission and the permission received.
Embeddable Video Sites
Adding a video to an Embedded Video box:
** When you add a new box, choose "Embedded Video" box
- Click on Embedded Video/Audio
- Copy the Embed code from the website. You may get the option to change colors and the size
of the video - make sure you select a size that will fit within your column
- Paste the code from the video sharing site
- Click on Embed It
Editing a video link in an Embedded Video box:
- Click on Edit Video Link
- Edit the information you want to change
- Click on Save Changes
Note: Descriptive text about an Embedded Video box as a whole can be entered at the top of the box.
Note: Many videos are too large for the left column, though they can be resized by changing the code. Look for width="XXX" height="XXX" where XXX corresponds to pixels and be careful not to distort the size if you need to change it to fit your column.
Adding Video Links
Adding a video to a Text Box:
** Note: This is only an option if you have received additional Architeck training through MPS and have video priveleges for your Architeck site.
- Upload a video to your Architeck page.
- Highlight and copy the URL from your Architeck page that houses the video.
- Select "Edit Text" in the LibGuide box you want to place the video.
- Highlight the words or an icon you want to link the video to and click on the link botton.
- Paste the URL in the "URL Link" field and select "Insert".
Select the image to view a video on the types
of content boxes available with LibGuides.
Linking to Video Web Site:
You may link directly to a web site that has embedded video - be sure the site is accessable through MPS.
Example: Making Science Fun
You can link to a video or video segment from Discovery Streaming:
- Find the video or video segment you want your students to view
- Click on the "Share" button below the video preview
- Highlight and copy the link at the bottom (be sure to get the entire link)
- Follow the directions for linking text found under Add/Edit Boxes, Link Options
** If students are viewing at home, they will need the login. This can be found on the Library Resources Database page or you can get it from your Resource Center Specialist.
Example: NASA at 50