Welcome to your LibGuide for Porter Elementary Library Orientation!
Libraries are often misunderstood. Many students think that they are filled with old books and only useful if you want a quiet place to study. Well we do have books and it is a great place to study but there is a lot more, too!
Within this guide you will find the information that will teach you all you need to know about our library and the resources available to you. It will show you how to open a Destiny account, do research, use our databases and web-tools, and check out an ebook.
The orientation is designed for you to cover the information at your own pace. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask the library staff.
If you only remember one thing, remember that the library personnel are here to help you. We are experts in searching for information and are willing to help you with any project or assignment. If we don't know the answer, we will find someone that does!
Mrs. Brown and Mrs. Van Hoy are more than happy to help you with your searches, answer questions and assist in any way possible. They can be reached at 480-472-6692.
What Your Library Can Do For You
Porter's library is here for you! Visit us before school or after school. We are always happy to help!
- Find a good book
- Use our on-line databases
- Finish homework
- Get help with research
- Relax and read
"Attitude is the paintbrush of the mind. It can color any situation" - Unknown
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing" - Aristotle
"Seek out the good in every situation and you'll find it." - Unknown
"Attitudes are contagious. Are yours worth catching?" - Unknown
"If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it." - Mary Engelbreit
Top 10 Study Tips
1) Find a healthy balance of work and play.
2) Schedule your time. Use a planner!
3) Understand what motivates you.
4) Make use of all study resources on and off campus. Get to know students, teachers and librarians that will be vital to your success.
5) Study with others from your classes.
6) Establish a routine place to study.
7) When studying for exams, don't start with your Worst subject.
8) Discover if you are more productive in the morning or evening.
9) When studying, take a 5-10min break each hour.
10) Regular sleep, exercise and a healthy diet will give your more energy and keep you feeling good!